Back to the Home Page
1749 Provoost ManuscriptThis is a transcript of the handwritten manuscript copied by
John Provoost from the notes of his uncle, David Provoost
[son of David Provoost & Catharina Lawrence, b. 16 Jan 1669]
and recorded on FHL 0000213
- (Indistinct or undecipherable sections are noted with *** in the space)
- (Questionable interpretations are marked by [?] )
This document is INDEXED by PAGE and PARAGRAPH.
1749 MANUSCRIPT INDEX
Back to the Home Page
Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Para 1 Para 1 Para 1 Para 1 Para 1 Para 2 Para 2 Para 2 Para 2 Para 2 Para 3 Para 3 Para 3 Para 4 . Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Para 1 Para 1 Para 1 Para 1 Para 1 Para 2 Para 2 Para 2 Para 2 Para 2 Para 3 Para 3 Para 3 Para 3 Para 3 Para 4 Para 4 Para 4 Para 5 Para 6 _______ _______ _______ _______ _______ _______ _______ _______ _______
PAGE 1 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 1 . . . Para 1
A Genealogy or a Short Collection of the Family of David Provoost of the City and Province of New York in America, a true Account of their descent or Offspring so far as is come to my hands and as much as I could gather & learn out of the Severall Manuscripts left me by my Ancestors since the Year of our Lord Christ, One Thousand five hundred & Seventy two. VIZ:
Page 1 . . . Para 2
Gulelmus or Wilhelmus Provoost Born in the City of Paris in the Kingdom of France, now Note that the word Provost is French; the true Original Etymology Signifys a President or Governour of a Colledge also the great Provost the ordinary Judge of the french King *** Provoost Marshall and Officer Appointed to Serve & Secure *** Provoost of the *** is the Chief Magistrate or Mayor of the City of Paris in France.
Page 1 . . . Para 3
Now the said Gulelumus Provoost being a young man of Twenty Seven Years of Age, left and fled out of the City of Paris into Holland very soon after that Bloody Horrid Massacre and Barbarous murder done and committed in the City of Paris in the Kingdom of France on St. Bartholomew's Day, the twenty-fourth of August Anno One Thousand five hundred seventy two, by the Devil & Hellish Instigation of the whore of Babylon King Charles
PAGE 2 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 2 . . . Para 1
The Ninth of France also Cathrina his Tyrannicall *** and the rest of the Antichristian Crew with an Entire Intent and Absolute Design to *** the holy Protestant Religion out of that Kingdom.
Page 2 . . . Para 2
The said Gulielmus Provoost being a Hugenot so called, it is a nickname given by the Papists of France to the Protestants, he could not have Escaped amongst upward of *** Thousand that were murdered in said City, if had not been for a Coll*** who said had been Especially at that time a particular friend secured him the said Provoost of being destroyed in that Cruell and Barbarous Action and by the Collonels help made his escape and soon after got over into Holland and his relations most part of them being at that time Murdered in Paris. What became of the rest, I find nothing noted.
Page 2 . . . Para 3
But for this Gulielmus Provoost I find as above said and farther noted of him that about two years after his Arrivall at the City of Amsterdam in Holland, he married a french Daughter also born in Paris in France by whom he the said Gulielmus Provoost Procreated Five Sons by name Johannes, David, Wilhelmus, Elias & Benjamin.
Page 2 . . . Para 4
Now this his son Johannes as above was Born at Amsterdam in the year of our Lord Christ one Thousand five hundred and Seventy Six and at his Age of twenty five years he the said Johannes Provoost married a Dutch Girl or Vryster [? not clear], Born also at the City of Amsterdam in holland she was called Elizabeth, by whom the said Johannes Provoost Procreated three sons
PAGE 3 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 3 . . . Para 1
Elias, Johannes and David, and three Daughters called Maragretta, Sarah & Elizabeth, so much I find noted down of Gulielmus & Johannes Provoost. Now this above named David Provoost Born in the City of Amsterdam in the Year of our Lord Christ One Thousand and Six hundred & Eight the tenth day of August New Stile, the same David was my Father's Father, our Grandfather, who at his Sixteenth year of his age came into this Country, then called New Netherland under the Obedience of the States General of the United Provinces and the West India Company with the Director or Governor William ***
Page 3 . . . Para 2
Anno One Thousand Six hundred and twenty four, in what Employment he came I dont find noted down and after the Expiration of two Years stay in this Country, he our Grand Father returned again to Amsterdam in Holland and at the end of four years after his return, he our said Grand Father David Provoost married a Dutch Merchants Daugher at Amsterdam named Maragreta Tan Waart who was my or our Fathers Mother and our Grandmother her Father's name was Joahin [?] Tan Waart who did give his said Daughter a Nuptial Portion the sum of Fourteen thousand Gilders Holland money and seven hundred & fifty Gilders a year he bought, in the Bank of the City of Lyden in Holland Called Lyfe Rents to be by her received during Life yearly and every year, which she accordingly did, and after marriage my or our Grandfather, persuaded her our Grandmother to go
PAGE 4 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 4 . . . Para 1
With him into this Country, then called New Netherland as above said he having been here before, his desire and persuasion prevailed, she complyed and Arrived here in said Country with her in the year of our Lord One Thousand Six hundred Thirty five, its thought he had at his departure from here made a promise to Governour Covell to return to this country as soon as possible. This country then being but newly settled everything as provisions It was at that time Extravagant Dear occasioned the
spending of much part of his money in misery. Now this David Provoost our Grandfather, after his Arrivall into this Country with his Maragreta, procreated by her the first child a daughter named Maragreta, the Second Child a Son named William, in the City of New York then called New Amsterdam. Soon after he was commissioned by the then Governour or Director William Reeve sent and commanded to take possession of the Mouth of the Fresh [?] River in the sound having under his command about
fifty or sixty soldiers which he accordingly did and built a good strong Fort, and several houses in the same then called het kuys de goede hoop Now Called Sea Brook & the River Connecticut [?] so far the Dutch at that time had Extended their Government after afterwards taken by the English Ano One Thousand Six hundred & sixty four. *** of right it ought to have remained to the Government and possession for New York, however, the people of New England have made an Incroachment so far as to by reason given by what pretence I cannot Learn ***
Page 4 . . . Para 2
And at our grandfather's arrivall then soon after sent for his wife & Family, the first Child born there was a son, named Samuell, the Second a Son named
PAGE 5 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 5 . . . Para 1
my or our Father and the third Child a Son named Benjamin Now my or Father David Provoost was born at Seabrook on Connectticut River then called het kuys de Goede Hoop [?] the twentieth day of November New Stile in the year of our Lord one Thousand Six Hundred forty two and Baptized at New York then Called New Amsterdam, by the Rever'd Minister Bogardus his Godfathers were the Governour William Beven & his Uncle Johannes De La Montangick who was likewise come to settle in this Country.
Page 5 . . . Para 2
Now, after our Grandfather, David Provoost having had the command at Sea Brook, on the Mouth of Connetticut river, then called het kuys de Goede Hoop for upwards of seven years he desired the Director or Governour, to be relieved and excused of that command and service who did grant his request and sent to succeed him in that Office or in his Mr. Evert Duyckingh of the City of New York then called New Amsterdam and took the command upon him Accordingly [another wavy line here]
Page 5 . . . Para 3
And since his departure from Sea Brook on Connetticut to these parts he had four Children named Elias, Jonathan, Gillis, and one Daughter named Barbara, then returned again to the City of New York then called New Amsterdam, when he our said Grand Father David Provoost was Notary Pulic until he died which was in the year of our Lord Christ One thousand Six hundred fifty seven [?] the twelfth day of May on his fourty nineth year of his age, without any of the least Braggadacio or pride and I can't pass by but will here remark and insert a small Encompsion of what I have seen & learnt out of
PAGE 6 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 6 . . . Para 1
Severall old papers & writings and also heard told and speak of by severall old and ancient people some years ago that he the said David Provoost our Grandfather was an Extraordinary writer and penman also prefect in Cartography it's said none like him in the Country at that time & had *** Liberall Education spoke Latin, French, & Dutch Equal, and had a Brother likewise come & settled in this country the Eldest named Elias who had the same Education, now this Elias Provoost went & settled himself at Albany then called Fort Orange, of whom descended Johannes Provoost and his family some living here at New York and some at Albany. [? wavy line]
Page 6 . . . Para 2
And by our Grandmother Maragreta Tan Waart, herside who had a sister as afore related named Anijenita [?] Tan Waart wife to Johannes Delamon *** was Grandfather to the above named Johannes Kip [?] and the rest of the Brothers & Sisters by their Mothers Side and the said Angenita Tan Waart Grandmother to the same, and our Grandmother Maragreta Tan Waart and her sister aforesaid were nieces to the mother of Doctor Samuel Staats late of the City of New York Deceased.
Page 6 . . . Para 3
Ano Dom One Thousand Six hundred sixty eight the sixteenth day of May, my or our father David Provoost was married to my or our mother Catherine Lawrence who was born in the city of Amsterdam in Holland in the year of our Lord Christ One thousand six hundred and fifty the fourteenth Day of November New Stile being the very time, when Prince William of Orange was born at the Haage afterwards in Ano One Thousand Six hundred & eighty eight & nine
PAGE 7 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 7 . . . Para 1
The thirteenth Day of February, Proclaimed King of England *** , Father was married at Flatbush, or Midwout in Kings County Nassau island by the Reverend Minister Theo Colhemus [?]. Now I'll note the lineage or Nativity of all the Children by said David Provoost and Mother Catharina Procreated together in the City of New York and that in the same manner and *** Father has amongst severall other things as above is related and Experest all by him in Dutch set down, I have and will have translated to English as near to the subject matter as possible I am & have been able. [? wavy line]
Page 7 . . . Para 2
(1) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred sixty nine and seventy the sixteenth day of January Old Stile was born my first Child being a son in the West End of Pearl Street in the City of New York on Monday night about ten of the clock Baptised by the Minister Called Samuell Driesson [?] and named David, his Godfather Jacob Lenningt [?] and Godmother Margreta Tan Waart, my mother.
Page 7 . . . Para 3
(2) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred Seventy & Seventy one, the fifteenth day of March old stile was born, my first daughter on friday morning at one of the clock. Baptised the Eighteenth ditto [?] by the Minister Samuell Driesson [?] and named Elizabeth [? or Elije] her godfather Mr. Jacobus Vande Water [?] and her Godmother Engelike Juryanse [?] wife of the said Jacobus Van de Water
Page 7 . . . Para 4
(3) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred and Seventy two, the thirteenth day of August was born my second son on Thursday at two of the clock in the afternoon baptized by the Minister called William Niewhuyser [?] and named William my said son died Ano One Thousand six hundred seventy four, the Second day of
PAGE 8 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 8 . . . Para 1
and interred in the Burial place out of the gate of the City, now the English Church Yard.
Page 8 . . . Para 2
(4) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred & seventy three the third day of September *** October was born my second daughter on Sunday morning at eleven of the clock. Baptized by the Minister William Newenkuyser[?] and named Maragreta. Godfather Mr. Johannes Kip and godmother Maragrita Albert my wife's sister in law.
Page 8 . . . Para 3
(5) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred and seventy six the twenty third day of September was born my my [sic] third daughter Baptized by the Minister William Niewenhuysen [?] and named Catharina who died Ano One Thousand Six hundred and seventy seven the last day of August. Buried in the burial place without the gate of the City of New York, now the English Churchyard.
Page 8 . . . Para 4
(6) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred and seventy seven the sixth day of December was born my fourth daughter. Baptized by the Minister William Niewenhuysen[?] and named Catharina her Godfather Mr. Johannes Van *** and her godmother Maritne [?] the wife of Baltharard [?] Byard.
Page 8 . . . Para 5
(7) Annog Dom One Thousand Six hundred Seventy nine the twenthy seventh day of September was Born my third Son, baptized by the Minister William Niewenhuysen and named William, his God Father Elias Provoost , my brother & God Mother Catharina Adolph alias Coocher
Page 8 . . . Para 6
(8) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred Eighty two the second [?] day of April was born my fifth daughter, between Saturday and Sunday in the night and Baptized by the Minister van Sueringen [?] of flatbush in Kings County Nassau *** my Daughter named Maria, her God Father Mr Thomasohn [?] and Godmother Mrs. Anna Duychings [?]
PAGE 9 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 9 . . . Para 1
(9) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred Eighty five the tenth day of February was born my Sixth daughter, on tuesday at Eight of the Clock in the morning, Baptized by the Minister Henricus Selymus and named Anneke her God Father Giles Provoost my brother & Mr. Gerard Duykinch [?] her God Mother Maria Hibon, Gilis Provoost his wife.
Page 9 . . . Para 2
(10) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred Eighty seven the Eight Day of January on Saturday at ten of Clock , in the morning was born my fourth son , Baptized by the Minister Henricus Selymus and named Samuel [?] his God Father Jonathan Provoost my brother & his God Mother Gesne Lewis widow to Thomas Lewis Deceased.
Page 9 . . . Para 3
(11) Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred Eighty & nine the tenth day of October was born my Seventh Daughter Baptized by the Minister Henricus Selymus named Jenneke her God Father Doctor Samuell Staats and God Mother the said Samuell Staats his wife.
Page 9 . . . Para 4
Now I shall note Down all the Brothers and Sisters of the Family their marriage when and with whom and how many Children Procreated together to this day being the twenty fifth day of March Ano One Thousand Seven hundred Twenty four as also the time that the Family was Honored by the marriage Governour *** his Excellancy Governour *** Burnat of the Province of New York , New Jersey *** to our niece Mrs Anna Marie Daughter to Mr. Abraham Vanhorne and of our sister Maria Provooxt ***
PAGE 10 . . . . .| Return to Index |
Page 10 . . . Para 1
Anog Dom One Thousand Six hundred Ninety One the first day of June, I David Provoost born Eldest son & Child of the Family was at that time married to Helena Byvanik Daughter of Mr. John Byvanik of the City of Albany in the *** of New York. Procreated by her four Children by name Betia, Catharina, David & Helena Died in childbirth Ano One Thousand Six hundred ninety Eight, the sixth day of April buried in the Dutch reformed Church in the city of New York.
Page 10 . . . Para 2
Ani Dom One Thousand Six hundred Eighty & nine the Twenty Eight day of January, I David Provoost was married at that time to my Second Wife, Mary Sprat, widow of Mr, John Sprat of the City of New York deceased and sister to Collet Depeyster having no children by her, she died Ano One Thousand Seven hundred & One the third day of May and buried in the English Churchyard in this City in the Vault built by Collet DePeyster *** Ani One Thousand Seven hundred and Eight the fifteenth day of May, I David Provoost was married to my third wife named Elizabeth Weakman [?] Widow of Mr. Albert Dinny of Fairfield [?] in New England had no children by her, she died in Ani One Thousand Seven hundred & ten the third Day of May Buried in the Dutch Reformed Church in the city of New York ***
Page 10 . . . Para 3
Here Ends the copy of Collection as it was taken by my Uncle David Provoost who I am to think died shortly after *** Otherwise we should no doubt have been obliged to him for a Farther Account of the Family, now as he is deceased I shall endeavor to trace the family from the time of his leaving of that I am afraid I shall not be able to proceed in the concise manner that he has begun, but as the Account I shall give will be as Authentick, it will perhaps be agreeable to such of the relations as shall hereafter peruse it.
New York May 26 1749
Return to Index
Back to the Home Page