(includes names: Briggs, Brockner, Brown, Curtis, Evans, Fogal, Forest, Lockwood,
MacCallum, Many, Mowbray, Provost/Provoost, Taylor, Tyte, Wright, Yerks)
Below is genealogical information found in the family Bible of
John FOGAL and Catharine A. PROVOST.
The bible, notes and associated papers were transcribed by
Eibhlin Eilis MacIntosh . . . aka Aisling.
Items noted in brackets [ ] are comments by Eibhlin Eilis MacIntosh.
Items noted boldly in double brackets [[ ]] are subsequent comments by Everett Morton Fogal.
Items in parentheses ( ) were so noted in the Bible papers.
Most notes in the three primary sections of this Bible are written in two or three different handwritings. Most recent notes, in pencil, were probably made by Isabel Tyte Lockwood.
- Notes in margin of Bible (mostly deaths)
- Other notes in Bible
- Loose papers & notes in Bible
- Transcription notes
- Everlinor [written over several times, appears to originally be "Everleanor"] Fogal was Bornd the Daughter of John & Catharine Fogal February 22th - 1819
- Second Daughter Catharine Amelia Fogal was Bornd on the February 14th - 1821
- First Son John Fogal was Bornd September 3th, 1824 [this was written over decorative border, so I may be mistaken about the year]
[[ The year is correct as 1824. The 4 is written in the same manner as this printed 4 (closed four). The slanted line of the number extends above the vertical line to an extent and in a manner that makes the number resemble a six. The same type of 4 is seen in the birth date of George Fogal, March 14. 1828. ]]
- Second Son William Fogal was Bornd February 8th 1826
- third Son George Fogal was Bornd March 14th 1828
- Fourth Son Alonzo Fogal was Borne July 19th 1838
- Fifth Son Edgar Fogal was Bron July 9th 1841
- Catherine Amelia Brockner, first Daughter of Washington x Catherine Brockner - Was Born January 31st 1840 on Friday Morning 10'18 oclock
- Washington Brockner first son of Washington and Catherine Brockner Born July 9th 1842 11 oclock Saturday A-M.
- Jefferson Brockner Second Son was Born October 2nd 1844 12 1/2 oclock a.m. Thursday
- Oscar Brockner third Son was Born Nov 17 1846 [year not clear] Tusday [may be Friday, not clear] 1 oclock - a.m.
- Edgar Franklin Brockner fourth Son was Born the 20 December 1848 [next word unclear] of 12 oclock Thursday
- George A (Alonzo) Brockner fifth son was Born 30 June 1851 10 oclock p.m. Monday
- Frank Brockner Sixth Son was Born the 26th January 1854 Saturday 6 1/2 oclock P.m.
- Isabell Brockner Second Daughter was Born 13 May 1856 Sunday [the day was written over several times, appears to have been Tuesday originally] Morning 1 1/2 o'clock [written in later, in pencil:] oclock
- Ambrose Everett Burnside Brockner Seventh Son Born May 25 1861 Between 9-10 A.M.
- Evelena Brockner Born April 18 - 1864 third daughter 3 - oclock A.M. Sunday
- John Fogal was Married to Catharine A. Provost the Daughter of John D. Provost April 25th - 1818
- Washington Brockner Was Married to Catharine Amelia Fogul Daughter of John Fougal February 14th 1839
- John Fogal was Married to Sarah Jane Taylor June 11th 1861
- George Fogal was married to Adeline Curtis
- Alonzo Fogal was married to Emily Briggs
- Washington Brockner Jr. to Jennie Oakley Evans daughter of L. G. Evans Feby 4 1880 by Mr. R. McArthur Cavalry Church
- Jefferson Brockner to Julia Colfax Binrstish [that's a guess - handwriting nearly impossible to read, but it clearly starts with a B] daughter of [nothing written here] Feb. 7th 1885
- Isabel Brockner to Charles Edmond Tyte Dec [written over - first entry said "Dec"] 5th [perhaps this said 3rd?] 1894
- Isabel Brockner Tyte to Henry C. Lockwood June 18 - 1919
- Jane Yerks wife of J.C.F. Brockner Sept 29th 1824 aged 49 years [I cannot read next entry, may have been 6 or 0 months]
- John C. F. Brockner April 1851 Aged 94 years 4/16 - [This was John Christian Frederick Brockner, said to be born in Germany]
- Washington Brockner 3rd son of W.B. Jr & Jennie Evans
- Harold Evans Brockner Son of W x Jennie Brockner
- Jane O. E. Brockner wife of W. B. Jr. Febry 22 1907
- Eveleanor Fogal first Daughter of John x Catherine A. Fogal Died of Nervious fever October 7th 1841
- Edgar Fogal fifth Son of John + Caherine [sic] Fogal Died of inflammation of the Chest and Bowells July 28th 1842
- Catherine Amelia Brockner first Daughter of Washington and Catherine A. Brockner Died of Whooping Cough and inflammation of the Chest October 23 1843
- Frank Brockner Sixth Son of Washington and Catherine A. Brockner Died of inflammation of the Bowells 24th May 1855
- George Alonzo Brockner Fifth Son of Washington and Catherine A. Brockner Died December 30 1856 - Scarlet fever
- Evelina Brockner third Daughter of Washington and Catherine A. Brockner Died April 21 1864 - Hemorrage of
- William Fogal [might be "Fogul"] Second Son of John and Catherine Fogul Aug 6 1864 - Inflammation of
- Catherine Amelia Provoost wife of John Fogal March 6 1866 - Heart Disease
- John Fogal April 13 1876 - aged 80 years - Pneumonia
- Catherine Amelia Fogal Second Daughter of John Fogal and Catherine A. Fogal and the Wife of Washington Brockner - Malarial Fever and Dysentery - August 20th 1826 [date appears to have been written later, and then written over, a second time]
[[ After close examination, the 0 in 20th is seen as a 9 and the 2 in 1826 is seen as a 7, making the date August 29th 1876 which relates to the burial date of Sep 1, 1876 ]]
- Washington Brockner Septr. 16th 1881 Aged 67 Years
- Jefferson Brockner, Sec. Son of Washington and Catherine Brockner died March 8th 1897 at 3 o'clock pm - Paralysis
- Oscar Brockner----[smudged pencil notes]---June [?] 1st 1907
The following were noted in the margin of the Bible. Most are incomplete notations.
- Harold Evans son of W. & --------- Brockner died
- Washington Brockner Jr. died--------son of W. Jennie Brockner
- Jefferson Brockner-----son of Jef. & Julia Brockner
- Julia Colfax wife of Jefferson Brockner died during an operation Oct 1895
- [pencil smudge note, only moderately clear words are "Jennie Brockner"]
Other notes from Bible
Other notes in the Bible indicated: Martha Wright, Sister Ann W. Forest, Niece Ann Wright. Many daughter - son James Many died at 19. Frances Many Mowbray, twins James and John. One of Martha's Sister Wright m. MacCallum, producing L'ee m. Jean Brown, producing Amelia, Kenneth, Thistle [this last name isn't clear].
The following were found on loose papers in the Fogal Bible:
Deaths [heading on slip of paper, in pencil]
- Edgar F. Brockner Died April 1911 Kidney trouble
- Ambrose E. Brockner Died Sept 21/1913 Diabetes Heart failure
- Oscar Brockner died June 1 - 1907
- Washington Brockner Heart trouble & Kidneys died Oct 21 -1920
Newspaper clippingOn Tuesday morning, 29th [last?], Elvira Fogal, after a short and painful illness, aged 17 years, [number washed out] months and 24 days.[Eibhlin's note: In the NYC directory for 1849-50, William Fogal lived at 25 Lewis St., and he was a "carman."]
The friends and acquaintances of the family are respectfully invited to attend her funeral from the residence of her mother, 25 Lewis st., this day, Thursday, at 2 o'clock, p.m. Her remains will be taken to Greenwood Cemetery for interment [sic].
Farewell dear mother, farewell,
My father he calls me above,
He says come up, Elvira dear,
And dwell with me and God.
Sister and brothers a short adieu; I'll fold my wings and patient wait,
To see who first will enter through
This glorious and open gate.
Penmanship sample by James Carlton, Aged eleven years.
Sarah E. Van Sickle
W. Brockner Jr.
Loose paper, in same pencil notes as elsewhere in Bible:
Edgar F. Brockner Died Friday [was Thursday, written over] 28th 1911
Loose paper, very old:
Washington Brockner Jr. 1st son of W & Jannie [sic] Brockner 9th day January 1882 Monday 5 1/2 A.M.
Harold Evans Brockner 2nd Son of W & J Brockner June 1st 1884 Sunday 5.50 A.M.
Jefferson Brockner Jr. 1st Son of Jeff. & Julia Brockner 19th day of June
Reverse side of same paper:
Died September 29th 1824 Jane Yerks wife of John C. F. Brockner aged 49 years 6 mo.
Died April 16th 1851 John C. F. Brockner aged 94 years. 4 mo. 16 days.
Envelope containing lock of white hair:
Printed on outside, "Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Tarrytown, Westchester Co., N.Y."
Written on outside, "George Fogull" [sic]
Single page, a complete issue of The New England Weekly JOURNAL, for Monday April 8., 1728I have read the issue and the only name I've recognized so far is "Benj. Lhomedieu from Long-Island" entered Boston via the Custom House, on April 6. Other names on the page, all in connection with Boston, are: Chaille, Coles, Gerald, Kent, Lewis, Belcher, Jones, Beekman, Burroughs, Luist, Collings, Rawlings, Ball, Jenking, Tyleson, Wall, Fulker, Henshaw, Sherbourn, Baker, Morton, Wattell, Prince, Legard, Evans, Legard, Evans, Segorny, Doubt, Geer, Stanley, Viscount, Coffin.
Single page, torn from some book, probably a local history:
A biography of Frederick Steinle, who married Susannah Brockner, daughter of John Christian Frederick Brockner. It contains some information abou the Brockners, but it is primarily a history of the Steinles. Here is what pertains to the Brockners:"Mr. Steinle married Susannah, daughter of John Christian Frederick Brockner and Jane Yerks, who was born in Tarrytown, March 12, 1810. Her parents removed to Little Falls, Passaic Co., and subsequently to New York, where they died.
Her father, born in Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, was pressed in the Hessian service, but after reaching America deserted, joined Gen. Washington's army, and served until the close of the war. He spent his last days with his daughter, Mrs. Steinle, and died April 16, 1851, at the advanced age of 94. Her mother died Sept. 29, 1824, aged forty-nine. Their children are Frederick, a grocery in New York, Susannah; and Charlotte, wife of John H. T. Banta, a merchant of Hackensack."
[Eibhlin's notes: Since Washington is not listed as a child, I believe this list of children refers to the Steinles' children, not the Brockners'. Also, the story of J.C.F. Brockner being a Hessian, etc., is a classic tale woven throughout genealogical tradition. I've searched all kinds of DAR and Loyalist records, plus lists of Hessians, and still haven't found any mention of Brockner fighting in the Revolutionary War, on any side.]
In the Bible, I have two handwritten family trees, both of them in pencil, same hand as previous:
Mr. & Mrs. Cooper, with children Cornelius and "daughter," who married Robert Hall Lockwood, and produced Charles (m. Cornelia), Henry (m. Martha Macdonald, s. Henry Cooper Lockwood), Robert, and Cornelia (m. Louis Field, had a daughter).
Daniel Macdonald married Martha Wright, producing children: Sarah Margaret, Martha Elizabeth (m. Henry Lockwood), and Walter (m. Jessie Dunbar, whose daughter Jessie m. Alfred C. Field, producing children Robert, Vernon, and Estelie [?])
These notes have been transcribed by Eibhlin Morey MacIntosh, the former holder of the Fogal Family Bible (it is now in the possession of Everett Fogal), to the best of my ability. The following spelling variations were noted in the Bible, and have been transcribed as they appeared:
- and the variations on "Eveleanor"
Please note that this is the Provost/Provoost family that is related to the Calyers and to the Yerks/Jerkes, and that the Brockner name may be spelled Brogna (and other variations).
Back to the Home Page